Skip to main content

Reflecting on my Time in Japan

My life has returned to normal. However, the 6 weeks I spent in Japan has changed me. I might look the same as I did before, but I am definitely not the 17 year old kid that left at the beginning of this summer. Japan and my experience there matured me. I learned to be more outgoing and am no longer picky. While in Japan, I had to try to communicate with all ages of people. I am much more comfortable talking to anyone now that I am in an English speaking culture. I am beyond thankful for this experience and am so grateful for all of the kind people I met while in Japan. An example of this kindness came when I got the opportunity to go out and sail on the ocean. I am an avid fisherman and love being out on the water. I was given the chance to catch a fish in Japan which was the cherry on top of this trip. I can honestly say that I have made some friends for life with kids 5,000 miles away. I have still been in contact with my host family and want to start writing letters back and forth. I am very excited for my host brother to come to America because I get to show him a new culture. We get along very well and will continue to make more amazing memories. I would like to end this by reaching out to anyone that is on the fence about applying for this amazing experience. I was in your position not too long ago. I am very glad that I took a leap out of my comfort zone and was able to experience this once in a lifetime trip. I am forever changed into a more well rounded individual and wish the same for all kids my age.

Comments