Skip to main content

First Week

Even though it's already going on my third week of being here in Japan, I thought I should probably finish writing this blog post about my first week. So--here's how my first day of school went! First of all, I woke up at about 6:30am and made my bed. Then, I went out to the kitchen to eat breakfast with my host family. The breakfast consisted of French toast and juice; the day before, I tried showing my host mother how to make French toast, and then she managed to make it even better than I did! Now that my second week here has already passed, I usually eat cereal or bread for breakfast, which is delicious nonetheless! After breakfast, I got changed into my uniform and left to walk to school at about 7:30am. About half of the walk is uphill, and since the humidity is so high I got really sweaty. When we arrived at school it was about 8:10, and Hana and I were supposed to give our introduction speeches to the all of the teachers. Beforehand, we met three important faculty members to help prepare us for our introductions. I was so nervous for my introduction, and when they asked me 'How long have you been driving for?' in Japanese, I thought they had asked me 'How old is your school?' and I responded with '100 years'. That was so embarrassing. Anyways, we said our introductions without any real problems, and then gave our introductions to our classes.
Besides, our initial introductions, the first day wasn't really any different than any other day, so I'll just talk about my schedule! Rather than the students moving around, for the most part the teachers are the one changing classrooms. I cannot understand any of the classes whatsoever (besides English), so I usually try and study on my own. Often times me and Hana go to an after-school English class with James-sensei (the American English teacher) and as a result, we are usually somewhat late to any club activities we want to do.
 Hana and I also decided to join the Kendo Club, but since there are only around 10 members, we only practice on Mondays and Wednesdays. Kendo is very fun, but also very hard. Timing and form is very important when you practice kendo, and since I am very uncoordinated (especially in sports, haha), it's taking me a while to get everything down. On the days that we don't have kendo, I try to go to the art club. Art club is fun, however, there are only around 3 members, so you essentially draw in silence for an hour. Regardless of the silence, it is very fun! I enjoy drawing.
Everyone so far has been extremely nice and helpful to me. The English teachers all are very helpful when it comes to explaining things and all of the students are very friendly. I look forward to the rest of my stay! I will also try and update my blog more, haha.  



Comments