Skip to main content

Intro Blog

Hello!
My name is Jonah Bloom and I am 17 years old. I am a Junior at Ferris High School. I am currently in year 3 of my Japanese studies. I am obviously interested in the Japanese culture and am really looking forward to getting a first hand experience.

 When I am not at school, there is a good chance I am running. I compete for Ferris' Cross Country and track team. I hope to either join the Track team or Basketball team while I am in Japan. Along with running, I enjoy taking pictures. I am very passionate about the outdoors and love to go fly fishing when I have the chance. If the opportunity arises, I would love to catch a fish in Japan.

I have been fortunate enough to have had some experience with this wonderful exchange program through my older brother, Todd, who visited Japan in 2016. I was able to befriend his host brother and made many great memories with him. I am excited to go to Japan! I have not gotten nervous yet about going but I am sure that will change. I am eager to have my new host brother, Nori, to come to Spokane and see how amazing the Pacific Northwest is. Nori and I already have a lot in common. We are both into sports and wish we weren't in school. His english is very good. There have been a few instances where the subtleties of the our different languages and how much we have to learn has made me laugh. An example of this is when I sent him a picture of myself and he responded "You are very hot!". This makes me wonder about all of the things that I have said in Japanese that maybe were a little strange. My Japanese needs a lot of work but I am ready for my skills and character to grow. I am very thankful for this once in a lifetime opportunity and can't wait to represent my family and Spokane!

P.S for those who are on Instagram feel free to follow my photography account to see a glimpse of my Japanese experience @bloom_photography__

Jonah Bloom :)

Comments