Skip to main content

Hello!!

こんにちは! そしてはじめまして!
私の名前はサラ・ホルマンです。十七さいです。三年生です。
I am a student at Lewis and Clark High School. I have been studying Japanese for two years. I chose to study Japanese because my sister and I have been keenly interested in the culture since we were little. We had an exchange student when we were younger that introduced us to her culture, and my sister and I were involved in learning about Japanese culture since then!  This exchange program is granting me an opportunity I've wished for ever since I was a child--and I'm so excited to have this experience!

Recently, I have been trying to study kanji since it is my weakest aspect in Japanese. There are many things I need study up on, and it's making me a little nervous! There is a Japanese tutor in my school, so I will probably ask her and my sister to help me study.

I need to prepare many things! I learned that we have to arrange a three minute speech for introducing ourselves in Japanese. It shouldn't be too much of a struggle, but that doesn't make it any less nerve-wracking. I also need to provide an omiyage, a gift, for my host family, and bring extras to give to any friends I make. There are many objects to choose from for an omiyage! Should I bring chocolate? A T-Shirt? Maybe a key-chain? There are so many options!

I have talking with my host sibling, Shiho, and we've both learned many things about each other. We have been talking using the LINE app and it's been a little difficult due to the time difference. But we are making it work! I learned that we both dislike tomatoes and there are quite a few differences between our two schools. How well Shiho could speak English really surprised me. I am so thrilled to soon meet her and her family.

I am definitely nervous to leave for Japan, but I am so excited to go! In under two months, I will be leaving the country for the first time to see many new sights.  With this, I will also be leaving my friends, family, and familiar views. It's hard to imagine that I have just seen just a small portion of the world, and I will soon be leaving to see completely new area of it.  With this experience I'd like to see how the world is like outside of my home. I'd like to gain a better understanding of Japanese culture and language, and I believe this trip will absolutely allow me to do this.

Comments