Skip to main content

Greetings!

こんにちは
私の名前はヒルはなです。
今十六才です。
私は楽しみにしっています。

Hello everyone! My name is Hana Hill and I am currently a sophomore at Mt. Spokane High School. Ever since I was a little girl I have been surrounded and influenced by the Japanese culture. This is because my mother is Japanese and we used to live in Tokyo. However, after moving to America at the age of five I quickly forgot the language as well as what life was like there. Since then I have attempted to continue speaking the language with both my mother and siblings but it has proven more difficult and my ability to speak Japanese has slowly deteriorated.

When I first heard about this program I was a middle schooler. I started studying Japanese more intensely in hopes of improving my skills and one day getting to go on this amazing trip. Since then I have completed year 4 of high school Japanese and still continue to independently study everything I can. I know I can keep studying the language but nothing will compare to being fully immersed into the mesmerizing civilization of Japan. Along with learning the language, I think it is crucial to understand their culture and rich history.

What I am looking to gain from this opportunity is a first-hand experience of life in Japan. Along with this and improved literacy, I hope to be humbled by their culture and add a new world perspective to my life. I know once returning from this trip I will be a different person and my whole life will be affected.

I have already begun communicating with my host sister, Nanase Nabeshima, on email and on Line. It has been a little difficult because of the time difference but we are doing our best. Nanase is super kind and her English is impressive. I can’t wait to meet her! It feels like forever until school ends but at the same time, Japan is just around the corner. I’d like to reiterate how grateful I am for this opportunity and I can’t thank the Nishinomiya Sister City Society enough. I’ll try to keep everyone updated as much as possible.

どうぞよろしく おながいします,

Hana Hill

Comments