Skip to main content

Final Day of School

Hello!

Today was the last day of school! Was very bittersweet to say goodbye to all the wonderful people I met and reflect back on all the fun times and the laughter we shared, and it was somewhat heartbreaking to realize that I may never see some of them again.

Attending Japanese school was a very unique experience that provided a very different sort of perspective on society and was the epitome of the fact that not all educational systems are the same. After going to school during this period, there are definitely things about American school that are taken for granted. The biggest thing being how much fun learning is made to be in America even when it may not seem like it. Compared to Japan our schooling is a lot more engaging.To help make sure I was having a valuable school experience, some of the different teachers invited me into their classes to participate in various subjects, and I got to learn some pretty interesting things! (Described with pictures further below).

I was totally surprised at how quiet the Japanese students were. During class, the teacher just talks at the students for an hour, unlike America where students and teachers exchange questions and answers. Many students, one time about a third of the class, are sleeping during class...and the teachers let them! I found their schooling very difficult, even if I had troubles anyways with the language barrier, the content itself was challenging. For example, Koten class.That is classical Japanese class, which is more or less just learning Chinese. Very difficult!

 At the end of the school term, there was a closing ceremony where I had to deliver a speech in full Japanese in front of Naruo High's nine hundred students!!! I was so so nervous. When I got up onto the stage, I looked out and could see nothing but a sea of dark heads and white shirts. It was actually quite amazing to see such uniformity; It was a sight like no other. Luckily, the speech went really well and was smooth. It was a good thing I'd practiced!! It made many of my friends I'd made sad, which makes me sad too. I will miss them a lot!
Classroom 2-2, second years, and the people whom I was in class with the most
Classroom 1-8, first year students


 My friend Sassa (left), who won the English Speech contest this year, and good friend Azu (right) who was in my homeroom.


 A presentation about impressions of Japanese school versus American school to classroom 1-8 (left). Meg and some of my closest buddies from class 2-2 (right).


Thank you for reading! I loved seeing the unique side of things! Japanese school was at times, very boring while others it was super fun! I enjoyed all the memories that were made at this school with these people and I definitely will remember many of the students!
-Amaya

Comments