Skip to main content

First Week in the Books!

Konbanwa!

Tonight is my first Saturday night here. It is now my fourth night here, and I think I can officially say I've shaken the jet lag. I love my host family already! They're super kind and really fun! Back before we came here, I had asked Meg what her family's hobbies were. She told me eating different foods! Sure enough, we eat lots of neat things, and go out to some super cool restaurants. My host mother likes to bake. This morning we ate cake for breakfast!!! My host family is very sweet, and also silly! We exchange humor from our cultures, and we like to laugh! Even in Japan, they have puns and "Dad Jokes!"

The people here are wonderful! It's very fun to trade language, and learn from each other. Even though I've only been here for such a short time, I have already picked up so much more language. Taking the language barrier in stride, although it was not easy at first. My first day here, I was very shy. But over a few days, I've warmed up and have made so many friends! The students here take very difficult classes. There are so many similarities between student life here and in America, and it's been such an amazing time so far. They find math just as boring as we do! Yesterday, I had to deliver an introduction of myself in front of all three hundred of the second year high school students (juniors)...Talk about extremely nerve-wracking! Luckily, it went okay, and I didn't mess up too many times.

Today I went to a Japanese track meet. They are big, so many runners from one city. It was very fun to watch all the really fast runners, and talk with members of my school's team. After, we went to the welcome party, and I got to meet the other exchange students, as well as talk with past year exchange students! They were all fun to have conversations with! Afterwards, my host family wanted to introduce me to ramen, so we went to this place in Amagasaki near the stadium where Meg ran. It was very delicious!

Nishinomiya city itself is incredibly beautiful! So much green; there are plants everywhere you look! And the architecture is so so pretty!!! Everything is so detailed, from the textures and colors of houses, down to the carvings of things like cherry blossoms depicted on the manhole covers! There are many murals painted about the city, in many varying styles. Also amazing is the amount of people! The city is just colorful and lively!

Tonight was finally the night that reality has truly hit me. I'm in Japan!!! I'm already having a memorable time, and it's been going very well. I actually like the weather here. It's not too hot, so far anyways.  Since I've arrived, Nishinomiya seems constantly have this nice breeze, and it rains a decent amount. I love when it is warm while it rains. Japan has already made many deeply appreciated impressions!

Enjoying this all very much!
-Amaya




Comments